Sending non-printable ascii characters via serial port

Jay Hennessy tjay.hennessy at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 20:20:20 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Maybe someone can help me with this problem.

I want to send a string to a serial port to control a TMS machine during an
EEG experiment. I already know how to send strings using Serial.Write

The problem is that the standards for the TMS machine require the last
character of the string to be a check bit. You calculate it by first adding
up the hexadecimal equivalents of the other characters then taking the
inverse. This is now your check bit or check character added to the end of
the string.

example: if i want to send @050

ascii      hex

@     =    40
0       =    30
5       =     35
0       =     30

40+30+35+30 = D5

so the inverse is = 2A

and 2A in hex is * in ascii
so I would send the string @050* and everything should work.

The problem is that if my check bit becomes a non-printable ascii
character, how should I send it?

for example my check bit might be 1C in hex which is 'file seperator' in
ascii. This isn't a character I can send using Serial.Write in Eprime (at
least that I know of).
Can anyone think of a way around this problem?
I might be able to send bits instead of a string. Is sending bits something
Serial.Write can do? can eprime convert things to bits?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

jay