record mouse only when clicked

Jeremy Purcell purcel14 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 16:06:14 UTC 2014

Hello all,

I’m attempting to record/display mouse movements ONLY when the mouse is
clicked, but am having a difficult time figuring out how to go about it.
Below is the inline code that I am starting with. Where the
“CollectResponse” is the name of the text object that is waiting for a
response in a trial.

It would be ideal to not have the mouse click advance this inline code; so
right now the only way to get this code to work is by setting the inputs to
“CollectResponse” to the keyboard (not the mouse). So it waits for the
input to a keyboard input and then it stops recording. This is great…i.e. I
want the keyboard to quite the trial… but the problem is that it won’t
record the mouse clicks this way.  It will only let me record the position
regardless of whether mouse is clicked or not. And so I am having
difficulty figuring out how to make a conditional statement where it only
records/displays the mouse movements IF the “Left” mouse button is pressed.

So, are there any ideas regarding how to record ONLY when the “Left” mouse
button is clicked?

I understand that this might be a bit of a novice question, and so at least
being pointed in the right direction would be very helpful. I've attached a
very basic paradigm with only two trials to illustrate the point where I am
at (i.e. right now it records mouse movements whether the mouse key is
pressed or not); oh and btw it is eprime professional  2.0.10.242.

Thank you so much for any input!

 'Inline code that I have been working with

'Set filename

Dim strFilename As String

'Declare pointer variable to hold coordinates

Dim ptMouse As Point

'Declare and initialize a variable that will hold the next target time

' to log a coordinate

Dim nLogTime As Long

nLogTime = Clock.Read

'Constant holding the size of the circles used

' to replay the subject's path

Const nRadius As Integer = 5

'Create and initialize Canvas

Dim cnvsReplay As Canvas

Set cnvsReplay = Display.Canvas

'Constant representing the interval at which coordinates will be tracked

Const nInterval As Integer = 10

'Counter variable used to name attributes

Dim nCount As Long

cnvsReplay.PenColor = CColor("black")

cnvsReplay.FillColor = CColor("black")

cnvsReplay.PenWidth = 1

'Loop until a response is made

Do While CollectResponse.InputMasks.IsPending()

      'Check if 25ms have passed

      If Clock.Read > nLogTime Then

            'Increment counter

            nCount = nCount + 1

                  Mouse.GetCursorPos ptMouse.x, ptMouse.y

                  cnvsReplay.Circle ptMouse.x, ptMouse.y, nRadius

                  c.SetAttrib "XYTracked" & nCount, (nCount & "," &
Clock.Read & "," & ptMouse.x & "," & ptmouse.y)

                  Sleep nInterval

      End If

Loop

Dim strbmp As String