how can joysticks be used in e-prime (professional)

JACanterbury jacanterbury at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 11:45:49 UTC 2014

Hi,

I was hoping that someone who has used a joystick with e-prime could help
me.

I note that joysticks can be added as an experiment device and then used as
an input mask.

I have a very old usb joystick and when I had a play with it, whilst the 2
buttons worked ok (response was 1 & 2 for left & right button) it doesn't
work for positioning the mouse cursor.

I have made the mouse pointer visible:

Mouse.ShowCursor True

and attached the joystick to the mouse pointer:

Joystick.AttachToMouseCursor = True

but when i move the joystick the cursor just jumps full screen in the
direction moved and when the joystick is released (and returns to central
position) the mousepointer returns to th ecentre of the screen.

What I was hoping is that it would slowly move in the direction pointed and
stop where it was when released.

I have a very old joystick and I'm unsure whether the problem is with the
joystick or whether I need more e-basic coding to get it working.

If anyone has had any success I'd be interested to hear what functinoality
they achieved and how they managed it (basically I'd like to use it instead
of the mouse)

many thanks,

john

ps e-prime 2 professional 2.0.10.242 / windows 7  (32 & 64 bit tried)