Converting from Presentation Experiment to E-Prime format

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Mon Mar 24 21:56:02 UTC 2014

DIlip,

1) I have never tried this, but I did dabble a bit with Presentation
some time ago and did not see any automated way to make a conversion
to E-Prime.  Also, we had a researcher who started here several years
ago come with Presentation, he switched to E-Prime and his lab just
wrote whatever they needed from scratch in E-Prime, so that might
give you a clue.

2) Definitely, beyond a doubt, spend the extra money for the
Professional edition!  PST has misnamed these:  "Standard" is really
the "Base" model, like the base model of a car that almost no
customers actually buy -- get "Standard" only if you intend to never
do any extensive work with E-Prime, and will never, ever, collaborate
with any other lab, ever! -- E.g., possibly suitable for some
teaching labs that cannot afford the extra $200/license.  By
contrast, "Professional" is the true Standard -- ALL research labs
should spend the extra money for the Professional edition, and
furthermore should make all their programs using the Professional
file format in order to take advantage of a wealth of features &
programming niceties that then become available (e.g., Experiment
Advisor, speed testing mode with Auto Response, multiple correct
create problems for colloborators who did not spend the extra money
for Professional (see warning above about using the "base" model),
but we must not lower our standards just to suit a few potential cheapskates.

-----
David McFarlane
E-Prime training
online:  http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx
Twitter:  @EPrimeMaster (https://twitter.com/EPrimeMaster )

/----
Stock reminder:  1) I do not work for PST.  2) PST's trained staff
take any and all questions at https://support.pstnet.com , and they
strive to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours, so make full use of
it.  3) In addition, PST offers several instructional videos on their
YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/PSTNET ).  4) If you do
get an answer from PST staff, please extend the courtesy of posting
their reply back here for the sake of others.
\----