Converting from Presentation Experiment to E-Prime format

Paul Groot pfc.groot at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 21:37:37 UTC 2014

Hi Dilip,

1) You're right. There is no (semi) automated procedure to convert
Presentation scripts to E-Prime, or vise- versa. Both programs
significantly differ in the way scripts are structured, so you will have to
re-create from scratch. (Although stimuli and trial tables etc. can be
re-used!)

2) From the PST-site: "*E-Prime 2.0 Professional experiments can be run
with E-Run 2.0 but cannot be opened in E-Prime 2.0 Standard." *So, you're
free to use either the standard or the pro-version. However, if the MRI-lab
has the standard version installed, then you will not be able to edit
PRO-scripts at the MRI site. Note that the PRO-version also allows you to
start with a standard scripts when you create a new script (though, with
limited features.)

The mixture of versions is really annoying for labs that collaborate with
other sites. Best practice (in my opinion), is to purchase the PRO-version
for your own use, but stick with the standard file format when portability
is important and no PRO-features are required. Also keep in mind that the
program version can also be critical when moving files from one computer to
another. When possible you should install the same version as the MRI lab.

Best,
Paul