Designing the multi-stimuli Experiment

David Vinson d.vinson at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Mar 27 08:32:20 UTC 2014

My approach would be to break down the experiment one task at a time:

Pick one of your three tasks and figure out how to display one stimulus
and collect a response to it.
Once that is working to your satisfaction then scale up to present
multiple stimuli drawn from a List object.
And then once that works, add in the additional elements of the TrialProc.

Since your tasks get incrementally more complicated, start with the
motor task - this seems very straightforward to setup in E-Prime and
will help you understand how List objects work.
You can display multiple stimuli (whether string or numeric) on a
TextDisplay object by using attribute references like [Stimulus1] and
[Stimulus2].

This is the basics of E-Prime so if you are having trouble with it, I
strongly urge you to go through the getting started guide and at least
some of the documentation.

best,
-dv

On 27/03/2014 07:01, Dilip Kumar wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to design a multi-stimuli experiment which will include Motor
> Response Task, Numerical Judgment Task, and combined Computation and
> Numerical Judgement Task. Each task will have 10 trials presented with
> random stimuli (total of 30 trials in random order).
>
> - Motor Task will include pressing Left/Right button whichever is
> displaced in stimuli screen.
> - Numerical Judgment task will include memorizing two numbers
> displayed in stimuli and responding with which one was larger/smaller
> on left/right side by pressing corresponding button.
> - Computation & Numerical Judgment Task will add performing
> subtraction in numerical judgment task and pressing the corresponding
> left/right button to identify larger/smaller number
>
> My proposed paper based design is as follows:
> *SessionProc*
> - Introduction
> - Experiment Design
> -- Stimuli Design
> --- MotorTask
> ---- TrialProc-> Stimulus + Fixation + Feedback
> --- NumericTast
> ---- TrialProc-> Stimulus + Fixation + Feedback
> --- ComputationalNumericTast
> ---- TrialProc-> Stimulus + Fixation + Feedback
> -Thankyou/Goodbye
>
> I have recently started using E-prime trial version and I am not sure
> on how to go about designing this experiment. How do I include
> multiple stimuli Numeric and/or Word format, How can i add subtraction
> in Numerical Size Judgment task to make it Computational Numeric
> Judgment Task.
> Any guideline or suggestions on designing this experiment will be
> highly appreciated.
>
> Thank You.
>
> Best Regards,
> Dilip
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/e-prime/dbc72256-77ad-4e02-a29c-e1511250aa1f%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/e-prime/dbc72256-77ad-4e02-a29c-e1511250aa1f%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

David Vinson, Ph.D.
ESRC Research Fellow
Cognitive, Perceptual and Brain Sciences Research Department
University College London
26 Bedford Way, London WC1H 0AP
Tel +44 (0)20 7679 5311  (UCL internal ext. 25311)