Randomization of Lists with Sequential Trials

David Ruvolo davidruvolo51 at gmail.com
Thu May 8 14:59:07 UTC 2014

There was a thread on this topic a while ago, but it appears there wasn't
an update if the suggests worked or if the issue was resolved.

I am working on building an experiment that has several lists, where each
list has the same number of trials. The order of the lists do not matter,
but the trials do. The order of the lists should be randomized (list 4,
list2, list8,list1, etc.) and the trials must be presented in sequential
order. The reason is the stimuli presented in subsequent trials depend on
the response of the first trial.

I have the main task proc set to random and each list set to sequential. I
have each list nested under a main procedure list and the order set to
random. As of now, when the task is run everything is randomized (pure
chaos!).

# It looks like this:                                               #  It
should look like this
# Current: (random everything)                          # Ideal: (random
lists, sequential trials)
     List 8,
trial x                                                          List 8,
trial 1
     List 1,
trial x                                                          List 8,
trial 2
     List 3,
trial x ...                                                      List 8,
trial 3
     ...                                                                          List
2, trial 1
     ...                                                                          List
2, trial 2

I am not sure where the issue lies.  The structure of the experiment can be
found below.  Any information or suggestions with this issue would be
greatly appreciated.

- David

#

# Experiment structure
- main
     - [initial parameters, instructions, etc.]
     - practice
     - taskproc #each list is nested in the main taskproc and order set to
random
            - list1
            - list2
            - list3
            - list4
            - list5
            - list6
            - list7
            - ...

# List structure
- main
     - [initial parameters, instructions, etc.]
     - practice
     - taskprocedure
            - list1
                  - Trial 1