Continuous Performance Task

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Thu Sep 11 16:18:41 UTC 2014

Years ago we programmed a Continuous Performance Task - Identical
Pairs (CPT-IP), and had a devil of a time getting E-Prime to
randomize the trials without generating spurious target trials.  We
finally resorted to just constructing one good random order outside
E-Prime and then running that in a List set to Sequential order
(which in fact duplicates just what the original researcher did in
the 1980s using a slide projector).

So if I were to program this, I might well do just what you already
suggested.  Using a spreadsheet program (e.g., MS Excel) I could
probably easily generate the 250 rows, then copy & paste that over to E-Prime.

I guess your problem comes when you inlcude "_ O" and "X _" as
stimulus pairs (using "_" to indicate a placeholder).  In that case
you could randomly get those two pairs one after the other, which
would indeed cause a spurious target.  But if you just never used one
or the other of those two stimulus pairs, I think that you could
safely let E-Prime do the randomization without fear of generating
spurious targets.  Or am I missing something?  To be sure, you would
want to do several test runs to check for this, perhaps combined with
code in E-Prime to at least detect and log any spurious targets
(something we did while troubleshooting that CPT-IP several years ago).

BTW, I checked -- oddly, we have not discussed CPT much on this
Group, and I can find no example programs at STEP, Paul Groot's site,
or the PST Samples area.

Best,
-----
David McFarlane