[Ethnocomm] Tamar Katriel retires from teaching

David Boromisza-Habashi dbh at Colorado.EDU
Thu Jan 29 17:54:57 UTC 2015

Hi All,

Tamar has recently taught her last university class. Her colleagues celebrated her accomplishments with, as she put it, "sweet cake and sweet words." The link below will take you to a series of photos from the celebration. Below the link you can find the English-language translation of department chair Yariv Tsfati's account of his and Tamar's colleagues' visit to her final class. Cheers, David

http://hevra.haifa.ac.il/comm/index.php/en/2013-09-14-05-15-37/news/885-2015-01-27-12-45-17
"Just to share with you the best moment of my day. Our faculty and dean showed up today at Prof. Tamar Katriel’s final class before retiring in October. It was a great opportunity for me to thank Tamar, first, as a former student. The “language, culture and communication” class I took with her twenty years ago has had a lasting impact on me, not only as a comm scholar, but also as human being. Each of the hundreds of students she taught (well, at least those who listened..) carries this important baggage with them.

Second, I thanked Tamar for mentoring some of our best grad students. Many of Tamar’s grad students continued in academic life, and today, these alums do the best imaginable service for our department’s reputation over the world.

Third, I told students that Tamar’s enormous wisdom had served the department in various roles, capacities and committees she had served on over the years, and this has had helped incredibly in making our department the great place that it is.

Finally, this was a very moving moment for me personally, because, as I said at the event, over the past 15 years since I’ve joined the department I’ve only seen people come in. No one retired. It is extremely inspiring to see someone not only surviving the University of Haifa, but also leaving it with a sense of accomplishment, pride on generations of students and years of ground breaking research, and heading forward to many years of creation and fresh and innovative ideas."

--
David Boromisza-Habashi, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Department of Communication, University of Colorado Boulder