[Ethnocomm] Tamar Katriel retires from teaching

Tamar Katriel tamark at edu.haifa.ac.il
Fri Jan 30 15:52:11 UTC 2015

Thanks, David,for amplifying my sense of freedom as well as connection by
posting this to the list.
I note that in translating his speech for posting on Facebook, Yariv
omitted what I found to be a particularly intriguing part in which he
specified three concepts he took from the class in Lang & Culture I taught
over 20 years ago. How many times have you asked yourselves what of all
that you have taught will actually stick? It's a question we hardly have
occasions to get answers for. I guess faculty retirement events can be seen
as meta-communication rituals in which talk about talk plays a distinctive
role  (and could be fruitfully explored). So here's what Yariv (who's a
quantitative political comm scholar) said - the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis, the
notion of 'rhetoric of objectivity', the third I'm not sure about, perhaps
sg to do with lang and gender, and my forgetfulness indicates I'm doing
well to wrap up my teaching career.
Cheers to you all,
Tamar