[Ethnocomm] Hymes follow-up

Patricia Covarrubias pocb at unm.edu
Thu Aug 29 00:02:31 UTC 2019

Dear David,

First, I thank you for bringing this matter to us as I was not aware of it and would not have been aware if you had not told us.

As I intimated in a private email to you, I am troubled, conflicted, and saddened by the news.  I think ETHNOCOMM  IS the proper channel for this type of discussion.  I am not sure how to respond publicly.  Perhaps it is because I have had enough of the "call-out culture."  This is not necessarily a code I advocate at all costs.

I do thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. I do think this is the proper channel.  I am finding it difficult to know how to respond about allegations/accusations about someone who has, through his life-changing work,  joined us as an intellectual and affective familia.

Patricia

Patricia O. Covarrubias Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Director of Graduate Program