[etnolinguistica] onset-sensitive stress

Daniel L. Everett dan.everett at MAN.AC.UK
Sun Dec 7 15:50:19 UTC 2003

Dear Nina,

Matthew Gordon of UCSB has a paper under review for Natural Language
and Linguistic Theory which focuses on Piraha and some other languages
that I and others have worked on, attempting to derive onset-sensitive
stress systems from aspects of the phonetics of perception. I think
that his research is extremely promising in this regard.

Axeninca Campa (Judith Payne, in the Doris Payne volume on Amazonian
Languages) has what might be onset-sensitive stress. Banawa (cf my IJAL
1993 article with the Bullers and my article in Phonetica 54 with Peter
and Jenny Ladefoged) also has something like onset-sensitive stress
-onsetless syllables are stressless, unless overridden by
word-minimality (though they are only found in word-initial position).
There is another paper on this that I wrote, in WCCFL XVI (downloadable
from my website) titled 'Syllable Integrity'. Also, in the most recent
issue of Linguistic Discovery, I have an article on a related Arawan
stress system, Paumari.

Keren Everett (1998)'s U of Pittsburgh MA thesis is on the phonetics of
Piraha stress and shows that its principal acoustic correlate is
loudness. This research was carried out with and supervised by Peter
Ladefoged.

Onset-sensitive stress systems, which I agree are likely to be found
more widely in the Amazon, have been ignored for too long and have
profound implications for our understanding of stress and syllable
structure.

Good luck,

Dan Everett

Daniel L. Everett
Postgraduate Tutor
Postgraduate Admissions Officer
Professor of Phonology
Department of Linguistics and English Language
University of Manchester
Manchester M13 9PL UK
Fax: 44-161-275-3187
Phone: 44-161-275-3158
http://ling.man.ac.uk/info/staff/de/

Visite a página do grupo Etnolingüística, no endereço http://www.etnolinguistica.org

Submeta textos para discussão, contribua com a "Biblioteca Virtual", sugira conexões que venham a ser do interesse dos membros do grupo.  Enfim, participe!

Para uma lista de dicas e normas para o uso da lista, favor dirigir-se ao endereço seguinte:

http://www.geocities.com/linguasindigenas/normas

Para cancelar sua assinatura deste grupo, envie um e-mail para: