comunicações sobre línguas amazônicas apresentadas no congresso da LSA e SSILA

diinibii moore at AMAZON.COM.BR
Thu Jan 26 02:12:09 UTC 2006

Caros colegas,

Lev Michael, doutorando na Universidade de Texas, fez algumas
anotações sobre comunicações recentes relacionadas às línguas
amazônicas, no congresso da LSA e SSILA.  Ele concordou em
compartilhá-las com os membros da Etnolingüística.

Dear Friends,

What follows are brief summaries of talks given on Amazonian
languages at the
2006 Albuquerque LSA & SSILA meetings. I have written it for
colleagues who
were unable to make it to the meetings.  I have construed `Amazonia'
quite
broadly to mean the Amazon Basin proper and (roughly) adjacent
neotropical
lowland(ish) areas. Apologies in advance to the presenters for any
inadvertent
misrepresentations on my part. I have included the email addresses
for the
presenters when available.

Please feel free to circulate this message to anyone who you think
might be
interested.

Lev Michael
UT Austin

*********

Anderson, Cynthia, Christine Beier, IWen Lai, and Lev Michael. SVO
versus SOV
constituent order in Iquito (Zaparoan): A post-syntactic explanation.
cianderson at mail.utexas.edu, cmbeier at mail.utexas.edu,
iwenlai at mail.utexas.edu,
lmichael at mail.utexas.edu

The authors began by presenting evidence that suggest there are two
constituent
orders in Iquito: SVO in realis mood clauses and SOV order in
irrealis mood
clauses. However, they then showed that in irrealis clauses, a
variety of
element other than object can appear in the position between the
subject and
verb, including adverbs, negation, determiners, and post-positions.
It is
ungrammatical for any of these elements to appear in this position
in irrealis
clauses. SOV order, they argued, is simply a special case of a more
general
irrealis order where a variety of elements can intervene between the
subject
and verb.

They then showed that the element that intervenes between the
subject and verb
in irrealis clauses occupies the immediately post-verbal position in
realis
clauses. They then argued that irrealis order is derived by the
dislocation of
post-verbal material to the immediately pre-verbal position.
Evidence they
presented for this analysis included the fact that irrealis order
results in
discontinuous constituents, with the parts of the constituent
straddling the
verb, and the fact that realis clauses are unmarked, and hence,
presumably,
basic.

They then argued that the irrealis dislocation process could not be
considered a
syntactic process, in the strict sense of the term. Arguing that
syntactic
processes operate on both syntactic natural classes of elements and
on
syntactic constituents, they pointed out that the elements
dislocated to the
pre-verbal irrealis position do not form any syntactic natural
class, and
moreover, some of the material dislocated to that position is not a
proper
syntactic constituent (e.g. postpositions with fragments of their
complements).
>>From this, they concluded that the irrealis dislocation process
must be a
postsyntactic one.

The authors then proposed an analysis for the irrealis dislocation
process. They
first observed that irrealis order is in a one-to-one relationship
with irrealis
mood, and that there are no surface-segmentable morphemes that
correspond to
irrealis mood. In other words, irrealis order is the sole surface
realization
of irrealis mood, and it does not correlate with any other
grammatical feature.
On this basis, they proposed that irrealis mood in Iquito is marked
at the
syntactic level by a pre-verbal morpheme that lacks phonological
material. They
further proposed that irrealis dislocation is a consequence of a
requirement for
morphemes to have an overt phonological realization, and that
irrealis
dislocation meets this requirement post-syntactically by moving
phonological
material, irrespective any syntactic characteristics of that
material, to the
position of the irrealis morpheme.

***

Brauschuber, Brianna. Degenerate feet and minimum word requirements
in Iquitu.
brauschuber at mail.utexas.edu

Brauschuber showed that the Iquito stress system is mostly quite
straightforward, but that it also shows some typologically
interesting
phenomena . Iquito assigns right to left moraic trochees (i.e.
prosodic feet
are either two light syllables with left-most stress or a single
heavy
syllable), and in the general case, forbids degenerate feet (in this
system,
monomoraic feet). Primary stress falls on the rightmost stressed
syllable.
There is also a minimum word size of two moras.

The interesting phenomena is found in certain three and two syllable
words, in
that they permit degenerate feet in the leftmost position. These
are: two
syllable words of the form (L)(H) and three syllable forms of the
form (L)(LL)
and (L)(HL). These are the only degenerate feet permitted in Iquito.
Rauschuber
notes that the effect of these degenerate feet is to produce words
with two
feet, and that degenerate feet are not found in words that already
possess two
feet without recourse to degenerate feet (e.g. L(H)(H) or L(LL)(H)).
Rauschuber
argues that this suggests that there is a requirement in Iquito that
prosodic
words consist of two feet, which she captures in a BinWd constraint
(in analogy
with BinFt).

One major empirical issue raised by this line of reasoning is the
absence of
forms like (L)(L) and (H)(L), which actually surface as (LL) and
(HL),
respectively. Rauschuber argues that forms like (L)(L) and (H)(L) are
unacceptable because they would require primary stress to fall on a
light
syllable. In the spirit of the peak prominence constraints, which
result in
stress to preferring to fall on `prominent' constituents (e.g.
prosodic heads,
or sonorous segments), Rauschuber proposes that primary stress
rigorously
avoids degenerate feet in Iquito, forcing a violation of WdBin.

Rauschuber presented an OT analysis which predicted the empirical
patterns
observed. From a typological perspective, what is most interesting
about the
Iquito stress system is that it only permits degenerate feet in
words of very
limited sizes, and analytically, that this is a consequence not of
the ranking
of Parse-syl>>FtBin.

***

Danielson, Swintha. 2006. Person cross-reference clitics in Baure
(Arawak).
Swintha.Danielson at mpi.nl *and* swintha at hotmail.com

Danielson began by noting that in most of the literature on Arawak
languages
person cross-reference markers are referred to as affixes, but that
the
evidence indicates that Baure person markers are not affixes, but
instead
clitics.

Baure person markers can appear on verbs as either A or S
proclitics, or O
enclitics. They also occur as proclitics possessive markers on
nouns, and as
enclitics on non-verbal predicates. In addition, they appear as
enclitics on
interrogative particles.

Danielson evaluated arguments both in favor of Baure person markers
being
clitics and those against them being clitics. The arguments
Danielson presented
in favor of Baure person markers being clitics included: 1) The are
unstressed
and always attach to a host, 2) they attach to a wide variety of
word classes,
and the position of the clitic depends on the word class of the
host. Baure
affixes, on the other hand, have fixed positions, with little
variation in the
word class of the stem. 3) person markers may either enclitize to
the preceding
word, or procliticize to the following one. 4) person markers are
external to
inflectional morphology. 5) There is a pausal form /ha/, which does
not
intervene between a stem and an affix, but which can intervene
between a
person-marker and the verb or noun.

The arguments that Danielson presented against the Baure person
markers being
clitics included: 1) person proclitics are obligatory, and hence
seem more like
agreement marking (but enclitics are not, and alternate with full
NPs) . 2)
person markers and affixes share certain phonological processes,
such as /o/
deletion in syllable-final and word-final positions. 3) There are
other
phonological processes that show strong phonological interaction
between the
host and person marker.

Danielson concludes that the arguments in favor of evaluating these
person
markers as clitics is stronger than those for evaluating them as
affixes.
Danielson proposed that it is necessary to view clitics and affixes
as part of
a continuum between affixes and free particles.

***

Dickinson, Connie, Simeon Floyd and Jenny Seeg. Evidentiality and
mirativity in
Cha'palaa and Tsafiki.

This talk presented a discussion of evidentiality, epistemic
modality, and
mirativity in Cha'palaa and Tsafiki, two Barbacoan languages of
lowland
Ecuador. There were two principal themes: 1) that in these two
languages,
evidentiality, epistemic modality, and mirativity form distinct
morphosyntactic
paradigms, and 2) that in these two languages, evidential marking
also codes
`participation' (about which more below).

Both languages make four evidential distinctions: direct evidential,
inferred
evidential, deduced from general knowledge, and reportative. In
Cha'palaa, the
reportative is not fully grammaticalized (unlike Tsafiki), but it is
discursively obligatory. Evidential markers are in free distribution
with mood
markers, of which there are six (in both languages, I infer):
declarative,
interrogative, dubitative, speculative, declarative emphatic, and
imperative.
The sole exception to the free distribution generalization is with
the
imperative mood marker, which apparently does not co-occur with
evidentials.
Note that evidentials do co-occur with interrogative mood marking,
in which
case the speaker is understood to be asking about the interlocutor's
source of
information.

Both languages possess a mirative marking system that marks a binary
conjunct/disjunct distinction. A sentence is mirative-marked only if
the source
of information for the proposition is a primary participant in the
event
(`locutor situations'). In both languages, the conjunct/disjunct
marking occurs
in declarative sentences with first person subject. Parallel
sentences with
second and third person subjects do not take mirative marking. In
interrogative
sentences, those with a first person subject take disjunct marking,
and those
with a second person subject take conjunct marking. Third person
remains
unmarked.

[At this point the presenter zipped through the rest of the
discussion of
mirative marking for reasons of time. I am embarrassed to say that I
had a very
hard time following this, so I will spare you most of my (probably
garbled)
understanding. The basic idea, however, appears to be that conjunct
marking
indicates congruence of the knowledge contained in the predicate
relative to
the knowledge base of the subject of the verb, whereas disjunct
marking
indicates incongruence.]

In any event, evidentials and mirative markers can co-occur on the
verb.

The remainder of the talk concerned pragmatically marked uses of
evidentials,
such as the use of the indirect evidential although the speaker
directly
experienced an event, which indexes the fact that speaker was not
psychologically prepared for what they witnessed. Another use of
this type
involves the use of the direct evidential when the person did not
directly
experience the event in question. This is apparently permissible in
certain
circumstances when the speaker is a member of the same household as
the person
carrying out the action indicated by the direct evidential-marked
verb. In
addition, mirative markers can be used in non-canonical ways to
distance
oneself from the events being described, or for irony. Apparently
mirative
markers can also be used to indicate deference by indicating
distance with
respect to some domain of knowledge in comparison with the
interlocutor

***

Guillaume, Antoine. More on the typology of inverse systems: the
Reyesano suffix
-ta

Guillaume's talk concerned the relationship between a morpheme -ta,
and person
marking on the verb. Superficially, the correlation between person
marking and
the presence or absence of this morpheme makes it appear that
Reyesano has
something like an inverse system (as found in the Algonquian
languages).

Reyesano has a single verbal prefix slot for marking person, but
this position
does not consistently correspond to an argument with a particular
grammatical
relationship (i.e. it can mark S, A, or P). Instead, the argument
that is
marked is decided by the following person hierarchy: 2>1>3.

With intransitive verbs, -ta appears with plural subjects; with
transitive
verbs, -ta appears under particular circumstances when one argument
is a SAP
(i.e. 1 or 2) and the other argument is 3: when the prefix is the
subject, -ta
does not appear; when the prefix is the object, -ta does appear. So
this
vaguely resembles an inverse system.

In the local configuration (both arguments are SAPs), the hierarchy
tells us
that 2 is always coded, and the GRs have to be inferred from
context. -ta does
not appear on the verb.

With two 3 arguments, -ta is obligatory.

Guillaume then explained that there is no proximate/obviate marking
on NPs, and
there are no animacy hierarchy effects relevant to -ta affixation.

This led Guillaume to comment that it looks like that there are
three different
-tas: plural marker (intransitive verbs), inverse (SAP and 3rd;
transitive
verbs), Obligatory (3 and 3; transitive verbs). He notes that with
transitives,
however,  it only occurs with 3 subjects

Guillaume concludes that instead of an inverse system as such, there
are two
-tas, a plural marker with intransitive verbs, and a third 3 subject
in
transitive ones. This is a person hierarchy that produces an
inverse `effect',
but is not an inverse `system',

***

Lai, I-Wen. The realization of sentential negation in Iquito: its
dependence on
clause type and mood. iwenlai at mail.utexas.edu

Lai's talk examined the structural characteristics of clausal
negation in Iquito
clauses. Lai identifies two structurally-distinct clausal negation
strategies.
The first consists of the negation `caa' in the immediately pre-
subject
position, whereas the second consists of caa in the post-verbal
position,
together with a negation concord morpheme -ji, affixed immediately
after the
verb root, and before inflectional morphology. Lai refers to the
former type of
negation as `caa negation', and the latter, `ji-caa negation'.

Caa negation is found in principal declarative  and in yes-no
questions. Ji-caa
negation is found in Wh-questions, relative clauses and in embedded
clauses in
cleft constructions. In addition, the latter constructions
demonstrate a number
of variants with respect to the realization of negation when the
clause is in
irrealis mood.

As discussed in Anderson, Beier, Lai, and Michael (see above),
irrealis mood is
marked in Iquito by dislocating post-verbal material to the
preverbal position,
or by copying it to preverbal position, which results in the
identical material
in postverbal and preverbal positions. In irrealis clauses with ji-
caa negation
this dislocated or copied material can be caa, frequently resulting
in caa
appearing in both pre-verbal and post-verbal positions, or simply in
the
preverbal position. It is also grammatical, in irrealis clauses with
transitive
verbs, for the object to be dislocated instead of the negation.

Lai offers a formal analysis, based on GB work in negation. This
work posits two
negation positions to account for the typological variation in
negation: a
TP-selecting negation head and a VP-selecting head. The TP-selecting
head
analysis is fairly straightforward: the verb raises to TP to acquire
inflection, and caa appears to the left. The VP-selecting head
analysis is a
little more complicated. Lai take -ji to occupy the head of the VP-
selecting
Neg, and caa to occupy [Spec, NegP]. The verb raises to T to acquire
inflection, and in raising through NegP acquires -ji as an affix.
Caa, being in
[Spec, NegP], is found to the right of the verb after the verb
raised to T.

Lai argues that the TP-selecting Neg is default, and that the VP-
selecting Neg
is triggered by feature in C (Note the cooccurence of ji-caa
negation with
clause-types in which CP is filled).

>>From a typological perspective, Iquito is interesting because
although previous
work has argued for the necessity of TP- and VP-selecting heads to
account for
the cross-linguistic variation in negation, Iquito appears to be the
first
documented case of a language that exhibits both TP- and VP-
selecting Neg heads
in a single language.

***

Seifart, Frank. An unusual typological mode for handling
countability in Miraña
(north west Amazon). frank.seifart at berlin.de

Miraña possesses a large set of shape-denoting noun classifiers
(~70) that also
surface pervasively as agreement markers on numbers, adjectives, and
verbs. The
topic of the talk concerns the fact that most `bare' NPs, i.e. NPs
without
classifiers, cannot take number morphology (dual or plural). For NPs
to be able
to take number morphology, the must be `unitized' or individuated,
by affixing a
classifier. After the classifier has been affixed, the NP can take
number
morphology. Moreover, NPs can only be unitized if the classifier is
affixed to
the NP; that is, the unitization cannot be achieved by only affixing
the
classifier to an independent (non-affixal) number term.

There are some additional interesting wrinkles. There are some nouns
that also
function as classifiers (e.g. hook). These noun obligatorily appear
with a
number term to which the same phonological shape (now functioning as
classifier) must be affixed, when the noun is non-singular in
reference.
Seifart refers to this class of nouns as `repeater nouns'.

Most inanimate nouns are non-count when they appear without a
classifier, and
they are unitized by classifiers (i.e. they are not repeater nouns).

The situation with animate nouns is more complicated. Most small
animals are
unitized with a classifier, but curiously, the choice of classifier
does not
appear to be at all related to any discernable geometrical
characteristic of
the animal in question. Larger, culturally important animals are
repeater
nouns.

Human referents are usually unitized with classifiers, but some are
optionally
unitized. Kin terms are `directly countable', i.e. do not require
classifiers,
and are not repeater nouns.

Seifart then presented a typological discussion which highlighted
the unusual
nature of Miraña unitization. First, in numeral classifier
languages, plural
marking does not appear with unitizing elements in the same phrase,
although it
does in Miraña and in languages with singulative marking. This
points to Miraña
unitization being more like singulative marking. Similarly, numeral
classifiers
are more closely attached to the numeral than to the NP, but
singulative marking
and Miraña classifiers are affixed to the noun.

On the other hand both numeral classifiers and Miraña classifiers
occur with a
large set of nouns, which is not the case with singulative marking.
Similarly,
the choice of classifier is dependent on nominal semantics (shape),
which is
characteristic of numeral classifier systems, and not of singulative
systems.

This makes the Miraña unitization system an interesting cross between
singulative and numeral classifier systems.

[Comment: Frank's dissertation, on which his talk was based, won
this year's
Mary Haas Award. ]

***

Tonhauser, Judith. Paraguayan Guaraní as a tenseless language.
juditht at stanford.edu

Tonhauser began by noting that Paraguayan Guaraní (PG) has
previously been
described as having tense morphology

Tonhauser showed that past and present temporal reference is
achieved as a
pragmatic inference using unmarked predicates, and is based on the
telicity of
the verb, with telic predicates generally yielding perfective/past
interpretations, and atelic predicates generally yielding
imperfective/present
interpretations.

Most of the talk was devoted to analyzing the morphology previously
analyzed as
a future tense morpheme, /-ta/.

First, Tonhauser showed that /-ta/ yields a future interpretation in
contexts of
prediction, expectation, intention, willingness, promising, and in
embedded
clauses. Then she presented three arguments against /-ta/ being a
future tense
marker.
First, -ta cannot be used to express future in negated clauses.
Instead, a
counterfactual marker must be used. If -ta is a future tense marker,
there is
no obvious reason it should be restricted to *positive*
eventualities.

Second, a future tense locates eventualities in the future of a
reference time
(typically the time of speaking, or some contextually given time).
Consequently, if the reference time is in the past, the future tense
should
assert the realization of the eventuality. However, the use of -ta
does not
assert realization

Third, if -ta is a future marker, its appearance should not be
compatible with
expressions of past time reference (e.g. temporal adverbs). However,
one finds
that in PG, -ta does appear with expressions of past time reference.

These observations lead Tonhauser to conclude that -ta is not a
future tense
markers, and that, consequently, PG is a tenseless language.

Tonhauser then goes on to propose that -ta is a modal of non-asserted
realization. She explained that this means that -ta blocks the
entailment of
event realization, and is, consequently, a kind of irrealis
modality. In
effect, -ta means that the eventuality is not being realized at the
reference
time. Consequently, future interpretations result as implicatures in
context.

***

Tonhauser, Judith. Nominal temporal markers on relative and
complement clauses
in Guaraní. juditht at stanford.edu

[I was unable to make it to this talk, so what follows is just the
published
abstract]

Based on data collected in recent fieldwork, this talk examines the
meaning of
the nominal temporal markers of Paraguayan Guaraní. The markers, -
kue and -rã,
appear on noun phrases and affect the temporal interpretation of the
phrase,
e.g. ko abogado-kue, `this lawyer-KUE' refers to an individual who
was a lawyer
but is not anymore. Besides (non-)possessive noun phrases, both
temporal markers
appear on relative clauses, and -kue also occurs on complement
clauses. I argue
that relative and complement clauses in Guaraní are nominalized, and
that the
meaning of -rã prevents it from co-occurring with complement clauses.

***
Beier, Christine and Lev Michael. The Iquito Language Documentation
Project:
Developing a Team-Based Methodology for Language Documentation
[Poster].
cmbeier at mail.utexas.edu, lmichael at mail.utexas.edu

Beier and Michael presented a poster that described the team-based
methodology
developed for the Iquito Language Documentation Project, and
evaluated its
successes and difficulties.

For those interested in the text of the poster, please visit:
http://www.iquito.org/ildp_poster_2006.htm

***

Also at LSA:

There was a reception at the LSA for this year's Bloomfield Book
Prize, which
was awarded to - you guessed it - a work on an Amazonian language:
R.M.W.
Dixon. The Jarawara Language of Southern Amazonia. OUP.

[I wasn't able to go, so I don't have anything more interesting to
report.]

***END**

Colóquios Lingüísticos do Museu Antropológico
Participe! Para maiores informações, visite
http://geocities.com/coloquioslinguisticos

<*> Para sair deste grupo, envie um e-mail para: