Mini-curso prof. Michel DeGraff (MIT) )

filomena sandalo fsandalo at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 18 18:55:17 UTC 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Comissão de Pós-Graduação do IEL <cpgiel at iel.unicamp.br>
Date: 2009/6/16
Subject: [Docs-l] mini-curso prof. Michel DeGraff (MIT) )
To: pos-l <pos-l at listas.iel.unicamp.br>, docs-l <
docs-l at listas.iel.unicamp.br>

 ---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ruth Lopes <ruthevlopes at gmail.com>
Date: 2009/6/16
Subject: [gt_tg] mini-curso prof. Michel DeGraff (MIT)
To: gt_tg at yahoogroups.com

Caros colegas,

Gostaríamos de convidar a todos para um mini-curso de 6 hs do prof. Michel
DeGraff,
como atividade prévia ao encontro do DIGS.

O curso será ministrado no IEL (sala a confirmar), UNICAMP, nos dias 20 e 21
de julho, das 14 às 17h.
Segue abaixo a proposta de curso.

Não é necessário fazer inscrição e não se cobrará nenhuma taxa de
participação.

Esperando encontrá-l at s em breve, cordiais saudações, Ruth (em nome dos
organizadores do DIGS)

Prof. Dr. Michel DeGraff
MIT

Course description:

The goal of this 2-day/6-hour course at UNICAMP is to establish some
basic "Cartesian-Uniformitarian" guidelines for empirically and
theoretically constructive connections between studies of language
contact (e.g., "creolization" as in the history of Haitian Creole), of
language change (e.g., English diachronic syntax) and of language
acquisition (e.g., patterns of morphosyntactic development in first-
and second-language acquisition).

Here "Cartesian" has a mentalist sense as in (e.g.)  Chomsky 1966: it
takes "Creole genesis" to ultimately reduce to the formation, in
certain socio-historical contexts, of the idiolects (or "I-languages"
in Chomsky's terminology) of certain classes of speakers.  The latter
is to identified on ethno-historical grounds in order to avoid
circularity.

"Uniformitarian" evokes my fundamental working assumption that there
is no sui generis psycho-linguistic process to be postulated in order
to explain Creole formation: the latter is made possible by the same
psycho-linguistic mechanisms that are responsible for the ontogenesis
of (I-)languages everywhere else.

Thus, "creolization", in my view (also see Mufwene 2001), is strictly
an a-theoretical abbreviation for the longer phrase "development of
these languages that, for socio-historical reasons, have been labelled
`Creole'...".

In establishing these Cartesian-Uniformitarian guidelines, I
investigate the (im)possible contributions of first-language
acquisition (L1A) and second-language acquisition (L2A) to
"creolization". I will evaluate Creole-genesis theories that assign an
exclusive role to either some kind of L1A (e.g., Derek Bickerton's
Language Bioprogram Hypothesis) or some kind of L2A (e.g., Claire
Lefebvre's Relexification Hypothesis).  I will also evaluate various
genetic-linguistics claims formation that exclude Creole languages
from the Comparative Method. Such theories seem inadequate on various
grounds---empirical, theoretical and socio-historical.

Is there any more viable theoretical alternative?  What seems more
compatible with the available empirical and socio-historical details
and with current results in linguistic research, including
language-acquisition research, is a scenario in which cohorts of both
adult learners and child learners in (e.g.) the colonial Caribbean
contributed to Creole formation, each class of learners in their own
complex, yet principled, ways. From that perspective, it will be shown
that Creole languages cannot be distinguished a priori from non-Creole
languages on any linguistic-theoretical criteria and that Creole
languages can be genetically classified by the Comparative Method on a
par with non-Creole languages.

Suggested readings:

DeGraff, Michel (2002).
Relexification: A re-evaluation.
Anthropological Linguistics, 44, 4, 321--414.
http://web.mit.edu/linguistics/people/faculty/degraff/degraff2002relexification_a_reevaluation.pdf

DeGraff, Michel (2005).
Morphology and word order in `creolization'  and beyond.
In Cinque & Kayne, eds., New York: Oxford University Press (Oxford
Studies in Comparative Syntax), 293--372.
http://web.mit.edu/linguistics/people/faculty/degraff/degraff2005morphology_and_word_order_in_creolization.pdf

DeGraff, Michel (2005).
Linguists' most dangerous myth: The fallacy of Creole Exceptionalism.
Language in Society, 34, 4, 533--591.
http://web.mit.edu/linguistics/people/faculty/degraff/degraff2005fallacy_of_creole_exceptionalism.pdf

Mufwene, Salikoko (2007).
Population movements and contacts in language evolution.
Journal of Language Contact, 1, 63--91.
http://cgi.server.uni-frankfurt.de/fb09/ifas/JLCCMS/issues/THEMA_1/JLC_THEMA_1_2007_03Mufwene.pdf

--
Ruth E. V. Lopes