Request for spiritually related terminology

jess tauber phonosemantics at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri Jan 22 21:58:26 UTC 2010

Hello, folks. I've started finding highly conserved terminology in the Americas related to life-forces and spirituality that seems to have gone unnoticed by Americanists (if I'm wrong please correct me). The terms for 'alive', 'spirit power', and 'wizard' are often etymologically related, and appear to be constructed nearly identically in quite a few different families on both continents. Because of historical changes, many of these might be less likely to be discovered.

My coverage is relatively spotty, especially as regards Meso- and South American languages. If you know the relevant terminology, and morpological analysis if available, I'd be very grateful to see it.

Here is a sample of what I'm talking about:

Salishan (Kuipers):

*kwvlx (kw labiovelar, v schwa, x palatized velar fricative)

Bella Coola    hlukwala  student of supernatural power, shaman to be
[Sechelt       syaykwhl  Indian doctor]
Upper Chehalis -ikwashi/-ikwlishi, -kwlsh  spirit power, "hlakwillix" id.
Shuswap        t'vkwilx  shaman
Columbian      tl'a7kwilx (7 glottal stop) shaman
Colville       tl'a7kwilx shaman
Spokane        tl'e7kwilsh shaman
Coeur D'Alene  t'e7kwilsh shaman

North Wakashan:

Heiltsuk       hlugwala person with supernatural powers (esp. e.g. a shaman)

Yanomami       hayakoari  supernatural

Aymara         laik'a   witch

Yahgan         yekamush shaman (sh alternates with r, m with w)
               ya:pa:chal  spirit power
               hauachiella spirit power
               ushwoala lads from 12 to 17 under discipline in connection with the ki:na rites

Gununa Kuna    akoa'hvlu witch (transciption approximate here)

Muskogean:

Koasati        athollo witch, sorcerer

California Penutian:

Wintu          hlahit  an Indian doctor, shaman (m. or f., particular aspect)
               7aychiwih doctor with the sucker spirit
               yapaytu supernatural; monster, ghost, spirit, shamanistic guardian spirit; dead ones
               yoh   shaman novice (particular aspect)
               yopit prophesy (particular aspect noun), yupaa speak prophetically

Wappo          approx. yaummto doctor

I have quite a few other terms here.

Then note:

Yucatec Mayan  tuukul thought, reason  wayak' dream -waay- ghost, spirit, naay dream

Iroquoian:
Oneida        -7nikuhl- mind, spirit   -uNhe- life
Onondaga      -7niguNhr- mind, thought -uNhe- live, be alive
Cayuga       (7)nigoNh(a)N- mind
Tuscarora                              -eNhe- life, health

Siouan:
Hidatsa        raaxi   ghost, spirit    ni live, exist
Dakota         naGi                     ni
Osage1         noNxe                    ni

Tacana         enid'u  espiritu, animo
Aymara         ajayu   espiritu, animo
Yahgan         abaila  health, strength, life, achawaia spirit, soul, life

Salishan      *7vli/hvli life, spirit s7vli(ye) lay spirit power, dream vision, guardian spirit shxwvli life, soul

Mutsun         nossow spirit (<? nosso-pu to breathe)  puuyis witchcraft 7istu-n- to dream
Nisenan        nedii dream   7ys devil  wilik' show signs of life, move as if alive wadaa to be alive

Huitoto Murui  ainyo bruja, aima brujo

Please let me know what you've got, and thanks for your efforts.

Jess Tauber
phonosemantics at earthlink.net