[Etnolinguistica] [etnolinguistica] Taruma?

Sérgio Meira asehpe@gmail.com [etnolinguistica] etnolinguistica at yahoogrupos.com.br
Mon Feb 23 14:55:41 UTC 2015

Salut Françoise,

it's indeed an interesting language, and I'm hoping to learn more about it
in my next trip to the three remaining Taruma (living in a small subvillage
near a larger Wapishana village, Maruranau, in Guyana). A certain vague
similarity with Tupi-Guarani had also occurred to me (and also because
nouns appear to have two forms, an /a/-final and a /u/- or /y/-final form,
which sort of reminded me of the famous /a/ suffix, or rather particle,
found on arguments in Tupi-Guarani languages). But there were only a
huandful of words... (Harald Hammarstrôm is running some osrt of comparison
algorithm to check for possibly similar languages; since he has many
wordlists from many South American languages, I'm hoping some good
candidate might show up...)

'Taruma' is indeed /kudjásy/, but the usual word for 'person' is /kwásy/ --
I don't know if it is a reduced form or a term related in some other form.
This reduces the likelihood of /kudja/ as some sort of formative element.

Sérgio.