Creative Genius

Jill Lyon jilyon99 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Nov 11 16:25:43 UTC 1999

I am an artist interested in how language defines the image of women portrayed an art and women artitsts.  I want to study how the etymology of several words exclude her from the definition of artist and limit ther to being an object on display.  However, I am not a linguist and I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me.  I think that from the histories of grammer and glamour it is evident that the patriarchal culture continues:  man acts;  woman is acted upon; hero saves heroine.  The muse of the artistic genius is a fetished female fantasy.  I don't want to intrude on your listserve, but I have been following it since last spring and I find it very interesting and informative.  Thanks for your time and ideas.

Jill Lyon