Masters Thesis - Call for Test Method

Peggy Collins peg281944 at AOL.COM
Sat Feb 5 16:44:23 UTC 2000

I am currently conducting a masters thesis and while I can find
many empirical studies, I have not been able to locate one that includes a
test (as in the reference books "Tests in Print") method or survey with
established reliability and validity, in order to test my hypothesis.  I do
not feel qualified to create one.
 I am requesting your assistance in that, if you know of such a
study, I would be most grateful for the benefit of your knowledge of it.
If there is anything I could do in return, I would be glad to do it.  This
piece of the process is holding up my progress.
 Below is my title, statement of the problem, and statement of
hypothesis for clarification.

Title:  Words and Deeds:  Are Nonspecific Gender Pronouns Truly Generic?

Statement of the Problem

 People think in words and images and therefore are powerfully
conditioned by language.  Using masculine terms like man and mankind to
describe anyone other than males is ambiguous and has led to the
misrepresentation and exclusion of women.  Exclusion of women in words and
images may unfairly precondition women to self-limiting behavior.   It may
also precondition both women and men to continue a male-centered
worldview,  which is a problem for those who strive for a more egalitarian
society.

Statement of Hypotheses

 There is a cause-effect relationship in the degree of perceived
inclusiveness of women with the use of gender specific versus gender
neutral or generic masculine pronoun (man, mankind, etc.).

Peggy S. Collins (peg281944 at aol.com
Southfield, Michigan
248-559-9417