Paradigmatic and Syntagmatic Lexical Relations of verbs

Hemananda B P bipheenaa at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jun 5 07:48:12 UTC 2001

***

The FLING group of Researchers

Dear Researchers

I am PhD research scholar Working on Semantic Field Theories by applying them to Kannada (The State official Language of Karnataka State, India) Lexicon.

I am specifically concentrating on Semantic fields of verbs (E.g. verbs of Oral Consumption, verbs of Cleaning, verbs of oral manipulations, etc.) and one of the hypotheses of my research is that detailed study of Paradigmatic and Syntagmatic Lexical Relations/Sense-relations of verbs (which are around 3K to 5K in a given language) will help to hierarchically structure out the lexicon of 200K to 400K of a given language.

For structuring a given Semantic Field (E.g. domain of cooking verbs) on the basis of paradigmatic lexical relations please see Lehrer, A.J. 1974. Semantic Fields and Lexical Structure. New York, USA. American Elsevier.

Further I am claiming that the study of Syntagmatic Lexical Relations of a verbs will show or through light on individuating the Semantic Fields in other groups of parts speech. That means to say sets and subsets in rest of the lexicon (out of 200K to 400K) can be satisfactorily resolved by the total study of the verbs and their Syntagmatic behavior with other ' Lexical Units ' in a language and ultimately one can arrive at the Hierarchical Structure of the vocabulary of a given language. This is as a salvation to the issue of individuating the Semantic Fields.

The Hierarchical Structure of LEXICON is very much necessary for syntactic studies and for lexical based syntactic theories. Verbs and their Syntagmatic behavior with other 'Lexical Units' in a language will project much of the Syntactic generalization.

If any of you can comment on my hypothesis and give your opinions on my hypothesis and its relevance in Linguistics field it will be of greater help to me.

If any of you can show me the studies, which are having the same kind of hypothesis, or related to of mine I am thankful to you for it.

However I am interested in all of your personal opinions.

(I am sorry for my earlier posting, which was received blank by all of you due to low speed of Internet.)
Mr. Hemananda B PPhD Research ScholarSemantic Fields, Semantic Frames and Lexical SemanticsC A S in LinguisticsAnnamalai UniversityTamil Nadu, India. 608002E-Mail bipaheena at yahoo.com ***