request: research on language use in new media

Nancy van Etten Nancy.vanEtten at LET.RUU.NL
Fri Feb 9 15:30:19 UTC 1996

For a course dealing with `communication in the context of new technologies'
we are looking for research on this subject. The aim of the course is to
provide students with a clearer understanding of the relationships between
communication processes/patterns and new technologies (e.g. Internet, WWW,
CD-ROM). We are primarily interested in the following fields of
investigation:

* language use in e-mail messages, as compared to written and oral language,
* the way WWW-pages are read and interpreted by readers,
* the way people read and use information on CD-ROMS.
* writing processes concerning electronic documents (i.a. hypertext,
  WWW-pages).

We would very much appreciate references to publications, reports,
discussions etc. on these issues. If there's sufficient interest, we will
post a summary to the list. Thanks in advance,

Arie Verhagen en Nancy van Etten

Nancy van Etten
Faculty of Arts
Department of Dutch/ Centre for Language and Communication
Trans 10
3512 JK Utrecht
The Netherlands
e-mail: Nancy.vanEtten at let.ruu.nl