Hi and a question

MARK DE VOS mdevos at CIS.CO.ZA
Fri Apr 4 01:39:25 UTC 1997

Hi

I'm new to the list but it seems like everyone's pretty quiet.

I've been wondering about the etymology of the word "BYE"
-egs: Goodbye...bye-bye etc

My dictionaries (may they live forever) can't tell me where the word
originated other than that it is colloquial, which is really rather vague.
Any ideas out there?

I've wondered it the word isn't a borrowing from Hindi or a dialect of it.
I'm still trying to find samples, but I'm sure that I've heard it
somewhere before....

mark
South Africa

         This is my morning, my day beginneth:
         arise now, arise, thou great noontide!

        Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra