Hi, a question and me

MARK DE VOS mdevos at CIS.CO.ZA
Sat Apr 5 06:51:04 UTC 1997

Hi again

I'm wondering how I can hide my utter humiliation....yes, I'm the oke
that dared to wonder if "bye" was a Hindi borrowing....*blush*
My other claim to fame is that my question somehow made
FUNKNET erupt.

As it turns out no less than 13 people to date have told me that
"bye" is the remnants of "God be with you". On this point,  I'm going
to go with the flow and disappear into welcome obscurity.

The question remains: how did I come to link Hindi and BYE at all?
I was reading...(folly of follies)...and the word "bai" kept popping up
in a Hindi context.  Thinking ohmygoshIjustcantbelieveit I made a
(rather too obvious link) with English.  As it turns out, "bai" more or
less means "brother", or so I am informed.

 Now I'm off to write a thousand lines?: I WILL NOT JUMP TO SILLY
CONCLUSIONS ABOUT LANGUAGES WHICH I DO NOT SPEAK,
I WILL NOT JUMP TO SILLY CONCLUSIONS...

bye all

Mark-bai

         This is my morning, my day beginneth:
         arise now, arise, thou great noontide!

        Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra