Imperative/subjunctive.

Tom Payne tpayne at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Sun Apr 6 02:57:49 UTC 1997

First, I don't think "Be my love" is commanding someone/something to
"exist." It is a command for someone to take on a certain role. I see
this as quite analogous to "be quiet" or "be seated."

Second, there is an interesting "misuse" of "be" that I have heard, that
makes sense at some level. Here is an example:

"He's not crazy, he just _bees_ crazy when he's around girls."

IOW, he just acts crazy. This is an actual example that went totally
unnoticed by the non-linguists in the conversation.

I think I've heard others like this. Anyone else? If it has the
validational force of downplaying the reality of the assertion, it might
be thought of as in the same functional domain as a subjunctive.

I'd be interested in other opinions on this.