Frameworks vs. the human mind

Enrique Figueroa E. efiguero at CAPOMO.USON.MX
Sat Apr 19 15:20:51 UTC 1997

Beware hocus-pocus lx! Also beware God's truth lx!
The question is ideed crucial, difficult and practically infinitely
discussable! I'd try putting it this way:
Are "esoteric and highly formalised rules" (sorry and ashamed to admit
the phrasing was mine, originally, though I didn't even dream such an
unheaval would come out of it!) THE LINGUIST'S *REPRESENTATION* or THE
LINGUIST'S *EXPLANATION* (or, perhaps, *EXPLICATION*)?
One other thing should be clear, thoguh: as TG points out to me (in a
recent private message regarding the same discussion), there IS (and
there CANNOT NOT BE) a THEORY necessarily implied in every linguist's
approach to any (no matter how punctual aspect of) language.
Max

(PS. I'm not taking sides here, just trying to shed some light on what I
think should be *one* of the cruxes of the ongoing discussion.)