need for hooks

Ellen F. Prince ellen at CENTRAL.CIS.UPENN.EDU
Sun Apr 20 17:43:54 UTC 1997

brian, while i agree with the spirit of everything you say, i must chime in
that all the work i know of re restrictive relatives involves definite heads.
(please correct me if i'm wrong -- i'd be very interested!)

in a study i did on relatives in english and yiddish, restrictive and
nonrestrictive, gap-containing and resumptive pronoun, definite and indefinite
headed, it turned out that certain restrictives (more or less indefinite
headed) function to a degree like nonrestrictives (typically definite) while
having the same syntax (at least the gap-containing kind) as definite
restrictives.

in particular, and relevant to your post, indefinite restrictives do *not*
distinguish members of a contrast set. they typically introduce a hearer-new
entity and predicate (hearer-new, of course) information about that entity.

nonrestrictives typically evoke a hearer-old entity and predicate hearer-new
info about that entity.

and, in these terms, definite restrictives -- the kind everyone thinks of --
evoke a member of a hearer-old set of entities and specify hearer-old info
about that entity that distinguishes it from the other members of the set. i
presume it is these that you are calling 'cognitively unitized', not the
indefinite headed restrictives, right?

of course i'm oversimplifying here -- formal definiteness is not the cause,
only a statistical correlation with the different functional types of
restrictive relatives.

the reference is:

Prince, E.F. 1990. Syntax and discourse: a look at resumptive pronouns. In
Hall, K. et al., eds. Proceedings of the Sixteenth Annual Meeting of the
Berkeley Linguistics Society. Pp. 482-97.

it's d/l'able from my web site: http://babel.ling.upenn.edu/~ellen/home.html

i'd be very very interested in any feedback, incl hearing about any relevant
work.