bees

E.Dabrowska E.Dabrowska at SHEFFIELD.AC.UK
Thu Apr 24 10:33:11 UTC 1997

Here's one I heard on 'How do they do that?' last night (the question
was addressed to a Queen Elizabeth look-alike, who was pretty good at
'being the Queen')

"How do you do that? How do you be the Queen?"

I wonder whether any of the people who found "You be good for
Grandma, and if you do, I'll buy you an ice-cream" unacceptable would
accept this. There seems to be no other way of saying it...

Ewa Dabrowska
Department of English Language and Linguistics
University of Sheffield
Sheffield S10 2TN