Schadenfreude

Ron Kuzar kuzar at RESEARCH.HAIFA.AC.IL
Tue May 6 19:00:45 UTC 1997

Dear netters,
I have now 53 responses to my friend's query.
Some came as personal messages from netters at COGLING anf FUNKNET,
othrs are from the discussion on FUNKNET.
It would be impossible to thank each person personally, so first of all,
on Yael Wald's and on my behalf I would like to send you an (interim?)
collective thank you.
It seems that - unless I missed s.th - all expressions of this feeling are
in some way analytical. No lg. has a unique single lexeme for it.
It also seems like German is the source for most loan-translations.
I would even suggest that although sameakh le-eyd 'happy to-calamity' in
Hebrew is Biblical (Proverbs), it is a hapax-legomenon, and its idiomatic
usage in Modern Hebrew is due to German-Yiddish.
Brian MacWhinney's suggestion to broaden the discussion is certainly in
line with the original interests of Yael, who is working on a paper for a
conference on this topic, details of which you can find at URL:
research.haifa.ac.il/~benzeev. Its main discipline is psychology.
Ron Kuzar