query: prenominal and postnominal adjectives in Romance

Max Enrique Figueroa Esteva efiguero at CAPOMO.USON.MX
Wed Apr 22 17:14:48 UTC 1998

As Guitart has commented, your query is indeed an interesting one. I'd
just like -for the time being- to add this comment to yours: in Russian,
the position of the adjective is prenominal when it "qualifies" the noun
and is usually "postponed" (apparently, I should say) when its function
is predicative:
 Umnaja studentka (A clever or bright she-student)
Studentka umnaja (The she-student is clever or bright)
[With a slight pause and a different intonational pattern]

Occasionally, one may even find a written dash to indicate the pause and
the int. pattern (also, of course, the "missing" copula jest'):
Studentka _ umnaja

This contrast, therefore, must be taken into consideration, along with
the distinction -to which you correctly point- between long and short
adjetives, especially since short adjectives are mostly associated with
the predicative function (long ones, mostly with the "qualifying" function).
Nota bene: I have said mostly, not necessarily.
Best regards. Max