Language Maters of a Different Kind

Ali Aghbar AAGHBAR at GROVE.IUP.EDU
Thu Jan 8 22:26:49 UTC 1998

I think people who master one language fully in adulthood should
also be considered language masters.  For example, Joseph Conrad,
who was 20 before he started learning English should be considered
a language master (even though he is reported to have had an
atrocious pronunciation).

I like to compare learning another language to playing a musical
instrument, such as the piano.  One can take a few lessons, play
"Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" and amuse oneself or a tolerant
other, but to become a virtuoso, one needs many (20?) years of
constant practice (in addition to dedication, motivation, etc.).
And yes, it would be easier if one starts when one is younger.  I
think fiddling with many languages is like playing many musical
instruments.  To press the analogy further, when one has learned a
foreign language, learning the next one is much easier, just as
when one has learned a musical instrument, learning the next one
becomes less problematic.  (By the same token, as with languages,
one might confuse the fingering if one learns musical instruments
that are similar, such as the flute and the clarinet.)

I do not intend to undermine the accomplishments of those who have
learned many languages, especially those who have become quite good
in using them.  I am making a case for recognizing the
accomplishment of those who have mastered one foreign language in
adulthood to the point of becoming a virtuoso at it.

Ali Aghbar, Dept. of English, Indiana U. of Pennsylvania, Indiana, PA 15705
    aaghbar at grove.iup.edu   Phone: (412) 357 4937  Fax: (412) 357 3056