Language Maters of a Different Kind

Bella Kotik mskotik at PLUTO.MSCC.HUJI.AC.IL
Sun Jan 11 09:44:31 UTC 1998

Dear Ali!
   When you speek about the degree of mastering, of course there is
continuum, but at some point you may say:this is a reasonable level of
mastering. I started to learn Hebrew (My mothertongue is Russian)at the age
44. After 2,5 years attempted to lecture and next year got a university
course. Now after 5 years,I still do not feel a virtuose )far from)and often
ask people how to say something and slow in reading (small-right direction,
no vowels, difficult script)but I am well ajusted working and communicating.
   By the way for those who link linguistic and musical abilities: I am
totally musically deaf. Teachers tried to teach  me piano from age 6 and
usually refused after some attempts to continue. But I learned English
mostly by myself at school age and now Hebrew.
   I think an important factor for me was that, besides great motivation, I
new my individuality and used it maximally for developing my individual
approach: I prefere listening to reading, so I spent much time listening to
tapes and later attending lectures and seminars in Hebrew U. writing down
new words and expressions, than looking up in dictionnary or asking people.
Watching animations with my daughter helped a lot and other TV programs.
Best wishes
Bella Kotik,
NCJW Institute for Innovation in Education,
Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Mount Scopus, Jerusalem 91905,Israel