Query: double object and dative structures

bingfu bingfu at USC.EDU
Sat May 2 16:03:33 UTC 1998

Query: double object and dative structures

        It seems all double object structures can shift to dative
structures, but the reverse does not always hold, as shown in examples
below.

         (1)    a.      I give it to John.
                b.      *I give John it.

         (2)    a.      I give it to him.
                b.      *I give him it.

        Now, I would like to know:

1. Are there any counterexamples that only double object holds?
(in zero context, i.e. '?Mary threw John the ball. But he wasn't
looking' does not count).

2. As I know, this asymmetric shift relation holds true of Chinese
corresponding opposition.
    I would like to know to what extent this asymmetry is universal.
Specifically, how does your native language behave in this aspect?

If responses are sufficient to draw a conclusion, I will make a
summary.

Thanks!
Bingfu LU
USC