From VIctor Golla re. Agent/Patient

Wallace Chafe chafe at HUMANITAS.UCSB.EDU
Sun May 17 18:49:08 UTC 1998

As a supplement to Marianne's response regarding the change of Iroquoian
ye- "one" to ye- "feminine", I might also point out that the probably
cognate yi- in Caddo developed into an inclusive first person marker when
it was accompanied by a dual or plural marker.  In other words Caddo yi-
means "one" in the singular, but "we inclusive" in the dual and plural.  I
don't think this extension from "one" to "we" is at all unusual, and
others have remarked on it.  It's even found in French.

Wally Chafe