Summary of Responses to Mirative question

Carl Rubino Carl.Rubino at ANU.EDU.AU
Mon May 18 01:18:05 UTC 1998

RE:  Summary of Mirative Responses from the list

Dear Funknetters,
        As promised I am sending mirative data to you (5 pages only, not a
long file), seeing that my question was received with much interest.  First
of all I would like to thank all of you for all your help with my
mirativity question.  I profitted immensely from useful discussions and/or
data from David Wilkins (Aranda), David Beck (Bella Coola), Hyo Sang Lee
(Korean), Sherman Fox (ASL), Scott DeLancey, Michael Noonan, Rob Freeman,
Olga Yokoyama (Russian), Cecilia Ford (Nepali), Wallace Chafe (Caddo),
David Parkinson (Inuktitut), Richard Cameron (Spanish), Enrique Sanchis
(Quechua), Guillermo Lorenzo (Jacaru), John Bowden (Makian Dalam), Sasha
Aikhenvald (Tariana), Noel Rude (Sahaptian), and Paul Hopper.
        I am working hard to put my paper together, so if any of you has
other suggestions for me (or data on exclamatives/ morphemes or systems
encoding information that is unexpected by the speaker), please let me
know.  The data below are partially contributed by FUNKNETters and
Austronesianists, and partially extracted from reference grammars here in
Australia.

SYNTACTIC EXPRESSION - Mirative systems

Andean Spanish (Bolivian highlands)  Use of pluperfect

        Habian sabido fumar.
        (They DO smoke I just found out).

Georgian (Aronson; Tuite)  present perfect = surprise

        Amerik'eli              q'opila!
        American.NOM    be-PERF:3s
        'He has been an American-  so he's an American!'

Rapa Nui (Du Feu 1996:91)  Double negative strategy

        Kai     hini    'o      koe.
        NEG     delay   NEG     2s
        'That didn't take you long!'

Tariana (Aikhenvald, p.c.)  (lexicalized)

        nu-ka-mhe       nu-a-mahka                      na-i~tu-nipe-nuku
        1s-see-ADM      1s-say-REC.P.NON.VIS    3p-steal-NOM-TOP.NON.A/S
        'I was unpleasantly surprised by the theft (I didn't see).'

Surigaunun (Verstraelen 1986:257)

        pagka-gana              sa      pagka'un!
        NOM-delicious   GEN     food
        'How delicious is the food!'

Tagalog

        ang     saráp           ng      pansít
        TOP     delicious       GEN     noodles
        'How delicious the noodles are!'

CLAUSE COMBINING - CONJUNCTIONS

Karo Batak (Woollams 1996)

        ..tapi  temuéna é       dungna          ipelawesna              kang.
          but   guest.his       that    finish.NMS      PASS.CAUS.go.he EMPH
        '... but in the end, he sent his guest away after all.'

        Agrési          pemana  tentara kerajaan        Belanda  reh    ka.
        agression       first           army    kingdom Holland  come EMPH
        'The first Dutch Police Action came after all.'

Koasati- differentiates y- 'but' contrary to expectation, from -tikabut
        statement must be contrary to expectation  (Kimball 1991)

        My grandmother said, their hair used to be braided-Y-, but contrary
to what one might think, they ysed to be able to keep on in such a way.'

        They looked for a doctor-tika  but where unable to find one.

Tukang Besi (Donohue 1995:425)
        io and padahal (loan from Indonesian)

MORPHOLOGICAL EXPRESSION

Jacaru (Peru) (Lorenzo, p.c.)

        tz'iq   ampra-j-ilii
        left    hand-SURP-so
        'so it is his left hand!'

Quechua- (Cuzco, Sanchis p.c.)

        jamu-sqa 'he unexpectedly came'

Washo-

        di      métiwe iti/.a?yi? i     I'm starting to get grey hairs.'
        ? í.yel máma?.á?yi i            He is getting big (in my absence)

Manipuri (Chelliah 1997:296)

        má      ngerang skul    cet-pe-jat-le.
        he      yesterday       school  go-NOM-TYPE(NOM)-INTERROG
        'Could it be that he went to school yesterday?!'

Korean (Lee 1993)

        uchepu          o-ass-kuna
        postman come-ANT-UNASSIM
        'The postman has come.'  (He comes every day)

        uchepu-ka       o-ass-ne
        postman-NOM     come-ANT-FR(factual.realization)
        'The postman has come (surprisingly).'

Korean system -ne vs. -kun vs. declarative -ta (noteworthy, provoking or
intriguing, question, command or proposal) (Lee 1993)

-ne                                                          -kun
more factual info, definitive                    less definitive info.
immediate (just perceived)                      info past /immediate info.
unexpected / unassimilated                     unassimilated
speaker confident about truth of info.     speaker not always confident
about truth

Bella Coola (Nater 1984:126)
        7nts+su.                        Surprise, it's me!
        tic+su  t'ayc   ti+staltmc      You might not have expected it, but
he is a chief.

Kugu Nganchara (Australia, Smith and Johnson, ms)

        thana           nganhca nga'a   kamba   minha   piki-ku
        3pNOM   1pexcNOM        fish    cook    animal  big-EXCL
        'They and we cooked fish in ashes, and even pig too!'

Ilocano- (Rubino 1997)

        Nag-bassit=en
        PF.AF-small=CONTR
        'How small!'

Caddo- Chafe 1995:357  hus- prefix; Chafe 1976:82 was- prefix.

        hús-ba-?a=sa=yi=k'awihsa?
        ADMIR-1ST.BENEF.IRREALS-name-know-PROGRESSIVE
        My goodness he knows my name!

        was-sa-náy-?aw  >  wásánáy?aw
        he is not likely to sing

        was-ba-?a-sa-yik-?awi-hah > wásba:sáyk'awihah
        my goodness, he knows my name!

Paamese (Vanuatu, Crowley 1982:229-232)

        Tahosi=visi                     Ostrelia        mari+aute=visi
        3s.REAL.good.EXTREME    Aus.            big.place.EXTREME
        'It was really good!'           'Australia is a really big place!'

-se  negative expectation, contrast,  event contrary to expectation +
Uniqueness (alone)

        kaiko=se=suk            ko+doo
        2s=neg.exp.SUB  2sREAL.stay
        'Are you staying on your own now?'

        Kove            torongo=s       velah
        2sREAL.COP      drunk.neg.exp   ong
        'You are still drunk (rather than being sober)!'

Aranda (Alice Springs, Aus).  Wilkins 1986:582.

        Lhwerrpe-k-itanye,      unrip-irre-me
        winter-DAT-SURP hot-INCH-NPP
        'Even though it's winter, it's getting hot.'

        Also used where unexpected behavior of speaker is affecting the
speaker in a negative way... Even though there were all those women around,
the man took all his clothes off (how disgusting!)

Acehnese (Durie 1985:259, 268).

        meu=ji=jak      lon=seutot
        if=3=go 1=follow
        'If he goes, I'll follow.'  (p. 259)

        meu=i=kap=keuh
        SURPR=3=bite=2
        'If it didn't go and bite you!'

Kannada (Sridhar 1990:230)

        eraDu   nimiSadalli     eNTu    mayli   o:DibiTTa
        two     minutes.LOC     eight   mile    run.pp.pf.pst.3sm
        'He ran eight miles in two minutes!'

        'The umbrella accidentally poked the girl in her side.'

PARTICLES

Sarangani Manobo-  DuBois 1976:56

        Nekeabat=ka kedi te osa.        Surprisingly you got the pig.

Chrau (Thomas 1971:88)

        Anh vlam de co sipai.           I met (surprise!) the rabbit!
        Neh deh de la-u!                She gave birth to a coconut!

Kankanaey (Allen 1978:86-87)

        Manlalaba       baw     adis    Lola.
        launder         SURP    EMPH    Lola
        'Oh, I see Lola is doing the laundry!'

        Ey,     niliw-ak        gayam   di!
        EXCL    forgot-I        SURP    that
        'Oh no!  I forgot it!'

Kilivila (Senft, p.c.)

        ina sopa!
        mother lie!     what a lie!

Akha (Thurgood 1986:218)-

        nja     'nonpast, nonexpected event'
        njá     'past, nonexpected event'  (high tone)
        nja     'to be able to'