(fwd) Neural Theory of Language Group questionnaire

Funknet Administration funkadmn at RUF.RICE.EDU
Tue Sep 29 20:39:02 UTC 1998

Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 11:36:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: MARIYA BRODSKY <mbrodsky at ICSI.BERKELEY.EDU>

Hello, everyone,

I am a member of the Neural Theory of Language group at Berkeley.
Our group would like to ask for you help in the following matter:

We are beginning research on a neural theory of grammar to accompany work
the group has already done on semantics. Part of the research will involve
a cognitively based notion of "focus". I would like to find out
what the best current survey of literature on focus is, and what
you think the best works on the subject are.

By focus, I mean the phenomenon displayed in sentences like:

John only WASHED the apples.
versus
John only washed the APPLES.

Here the capitalized elements are in "focus" and constitute the scope of
"only."

Similar cases occurs with questions,
        Did John WASH the apples?
        versus
        Did John wash the APPLES?
        versus
        Did JOHN wash the apples?

as well as negatives, just, even, and contrastive stress
        John washed the APPLES (not the oranges).

Quantifiers that are surface adverbs also take focused elements
        John mostly WASHED the apples.
        versus
        John mostly washed the APPLES.

I would like to know if anyone working on this phenomenon has a good list
of grammatical elements or constructions that take focused elements (e.g.,
questions, negatives, only, etc.)

Is there a study of constructions dedicated to focus (e. g., clefts and
pseudo-clefts)?

Is there a study of alternative constrution that differ largely in focus?
For example,
        John sliced the appled with a chainsaw.
        versus
        John used a chainsaw to slice the apple.

Is there a study of universals of focus, or a typologial study on focus?

What is there in the child language acquistion literature on focus?

What have computational linguists done on focus?

What is the current status of focus studies in various conemporary
linguistic theories?
For example, what do Chomsky's minimalism, functional grammar, HPSG,
cognitive grammar, lexical functionalism, role and reference grammar, and
construction grammar have to say about focus?

Are there studies on the relationship between focus and deixis? Or on the
constraints on focus compared to the constraints on anaphora?

Are there focus studies in discourse representation theory?

Are there any neurolinguistic or psycholinguistic studies of focus,
in particular, are there priming studies involving focus?

Thank you in advance for any leads you can give me. I will compile the

With best wishes,

Masha Brodsky