common ground

John Myhill john at RESEARCH.HAIFA.AC.IL
Tue Dec 14 07:29:30 UTC 1999

You may be right, Joan. You may be right.

For the first 15 years of my linguistics career, I dutifully read formal
linguistics articles of all types, in approaches such as your LFG or Simon
Dik's functional grammar which claimed to be something new, something
integrating formal and functional findings and results, to an extent I find
hard to believe any other functionalist could stand (with the exception of
Matthew Dryer). I have thought about formal issues enough that I can say
that, e.g., I have been more influenced by 'On Wh-movement' than by
anything else Chomsky has written, more by Burzio than by Rizzi, etc. I
have never refrained from referring to formal articles or even arguments
when they were relevant to my research. I even once gave a straight LFG
paper on Indonesian at the LSA. But none of it, NONE of it, not LFG, not
FG, not Construction Grammar, escaped from the same conceptual trap. So I
gave up attempting to keep up; five years ago, after yet another 'Chomskyan
revolution' which was more of the same, I deduced that it was a waste of
time and decided to devote my research time to other things. I have been
listening to you saying for nigh-on 20 years that you-all are doing
something 'really different' from Chomsky, I spent a lot of time
investigating whether it was true, and I came to the conclusion that it
simply wasn't (which was what Chomsky himself maintained as well).

But I have fallen behind. You may be right. This time there may really be a
wolf. It is quite possible. But it will be hard for me to convince myself
to take the time out from other things to check it out for myself now. But
maybe some day...

John