Chomsky

Mills, Carl (MILLSCR) MILLSCR at UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Thu Dec 16 17:03:40 UTC 1999

 Actually, many of us who went to LSA in the late 1970s and '80s discovered
that the "genuine criticism" our papers received, most of it from
Chomskyans, was so ill-informed and narrow minded that we stopped going.  So
I don't blame Chomsky for not going.

On the other hand, it is not surprising that Chomsky is addressing the MLA.
Anyone who reads stuff from the sciences, e.g. biology, chemiostry,
anthropology (the scientific, i.e. physical or biological, parts of it) is
apt to discern that linguistics since the Chomskyan revolution (pick
whichever one of them you want) has becoming less scientific and more
humanistic over the years.  Personally, I think that pre-Chomskyan
structuralism was a sort of natural history, but what we see mostly today is
on a par with literary theory (sic).  Incidentally, my own work on how the
sciences and a few other disciplines display their results indicates that
there are a number of disciplines between the sciences and the humanities
(psychology, sociology) that are not unlike linguistics in being unable or
unwilling to decide whether they are sciences or humanities.

Carl