frequency and agreement

Tom Givon tgivon at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Wed Apr 5 09:39:13 UTC 2000

Maybe it is time to mention (I may have missed it) that the kind of
"pragmatic variation" that one finds in Greek & Spanish (& many Bantu
lgs too, for that matter; there was a nice article on Zulu by Sr.
Euphrasia Kunene in the mid 1970's in Studies in African Linguistics
that described some of the early, non-obligatory ["pragmatic"] stages of
this) -- is but a diachronic stage in the rise of obligatory object
agreement. The frequencies creep slowly up the old "topicality
hierarchies", gradually inching toward 100% for some categories. So as
Ricardo Maldonado has pointed out, for several Latin-American varieties
of Spanish, Dative agreement is approaching obligatory status. So nobody
should be disturbed by finding less than 100% in any particular
language.

In parenthesis, also, I think the term "clitic doubling" is a bit funny.
All these things begin rather innocently with L-dislocation or
R-dislocation constructions. Only within some very ancient versions
generative theory that perceive the contrast of PRO vs. NP as a totally
exclusive one (and does not recognize grammatical agreement as a
pronominal phenomenon, thus leading to the further hilarity of
"pro-drop"...) does this appear remarkable. TG