jibun

Jon Aske jaske at SALEM.MASS.EDU
Tue Feb 22 03:56:53 UTC 2000

You will all pardon me for butting in, since I haven't been participating,
or even following closely, the latest discussions, but I wanted to say
something in John's defense for his somewhat rude words, namely that perhaps
they were provoked (and thus can perhaps explained, if not excused) by what
I see a change in the tone of our list, a list that I have belonged to since
its inception and whose basic tenets I thought were those that Tom one day
wrote and which can be found here:
http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~ling/funknet.html

In other words, what I'm trying to say is that perhaps in recent months
John, like myself, may have had a sense that this list of ours has been
hijacked and taken over by people who do not believe, not even loosely, in
those principles.

I may be wrong and I am willing to hear arguments about my wrongheadedness,
as long as they're put forth in a respectful manner, of course.

Cheers to all of you with whom I had lost touch in the last few years.  I'm
still alive.

Jon
Jon Aske
Department of Foreign Languages, Salem State College
SB 209A, Phone: (978) 542-4358, Fax: (978) 542-7215
jaske at salem.mass.edu - http://www.salem.mass.edu/~jaske/
personal: aske at basqueland.com - http://basqueland.com