intent

Sherman Wilcox wilcox at UNM.EDU
Tue Mar 20 23:23:17 UTC 2001

On 3/20/01 1:49 PM, dan everett said:

> For example, Searle argues
> very convincingly that the notion of 'unconcious intention' is
> incoherent.

Well, I haven't read Searle (at least this one), I admit it. So maybe
someone who has (Dan?) can answer my simple-minded questions: Unconscious
intentions of WHO? Humans? Non-human primates? Lions? Cephalopods? Does it
matter?

If the notion of 'unconscious intention' is incoherent now, does this mean
that it has always been incoherent?

Did Searle intend (consciously or unconsciously) for his argument to apply
to a broad range of species and an evolutionary time scale? Does it?

Genuine questions from someone who simply doesn't have the time to read
Searle right now.

-- Sherman Wilcox