Dyslexia

Peter Viles Pmv321 at AOL.COM
Wed Mar 21 03:22:15 UTC 2001

Is anyone aware of any studies about whether dyslexia occurs in other writing
systems? I am an immigration attorney who spends quite a bit of time in Iran,
and I have never come across dyslexia in Iran. I assume the problem must
exist, but I have never come across an Iranian dyslexic.

I just saw an article in Time magazine about how the representation of
phonemes in a writing systems may have a large impact of the rate of
dyslexia.  However, the article was based on studies which used alphabets
utilizing the Roman alphabet. Farsi does not use a Roman alphabet, so I was
wondering whether anyone has ever studied dyslexia in a non-Roman alphabet
situation.

Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated because my family has
an on going cross continental debate about this subject.

Peter M. Viles
Viles Law Office
Immigration and Nationality Law
6909 Jefferson Ave.