Dyslexia

Liz Bates bates at CRL.UCSD.EDU
Wed Mar 21 22:50:20 UTC 2001

Kevin Russell is right that dylexia is not a unitary disorder, and that
acquired dylexia (defined as a reading disability due to brain injury in
someone who was otherwise normal from birth) comes in several varieties.
However, it is worth pointing out that the Paulesu et al. paper cited in
the newspaper article was devoted exclusively to developmental (congenital)
dyslexia.  This is a disorder whose biological basis (assuming that there
is one) is still unknown, and a disorder that does not (at least according
to most investigators in this field) come in the same varieties that one
finds with acquired dyslexias. In fact, all that the word "dyslexia" means
right now, as it is commonly applied in school systems and clinics around
the country for congenital cases, is "has difficulty reading, by some
specified criterion on one or more standardized tests."  Because the
disorder is defined entirely on behavioral grounds, by relatively broad
criteria, it is entirely possible that some forms of developmental dyslexia
are really environmental (i.e. kids who can't read well for reasons that
have more to do with the family culture).  This is an especially important
issue these days when schools are dealing with increasing numbers of
immigrants, and other individuals who may not be proficient speakers of the
language in which they are being taught to read.  -liz bates