Dyslexia

Steve Long Salinas17 at AOL.COM
Thu Mar 22 00:22:33 UTC 2001

In a message dated 3/21/2001 4:26:51 PM, krussll at CC.UMANITOBA.CA writes:
<< I found it irritating that the original newspaper article assumes without
blinking that dyslexia = surface dyslexia.  Period.  No subtleties, no
other options....

I can see how a more regular orthography would make life simpler for a person
with a tendency toward surface dyslexia -- fewer exceptions to memorize
(which you're bad at), just applying the rules will get you farther than with
English.  But Italian would be much *worse* for someone with a tendency
toward phonological dyslexia -- the regularity of the spelling does you no
good and you've got to memorize a gazillion inflected forms which you have
problems taking apart on-line.  Phonological dyslexics have a fighting chance
of surviving in an English-writing environment.  In an Italian-writing
environment, I wouldn't be surprised if most got washed out very early on as
incurably stupid. >>

As Liz Bates points out, there is an exceedingly valid problem being voiced
here with regard to the over-broad labeling of dyslexia.  And to the Press'
inability to handle such issues perceptively - even though the quote
mentioned came from a mere press clipping.

However,...

If (note the "if") the study has helped to confirmed that the emergence of
certain dysfunctions called "dyslexia" may be highly correlateable to the
degree of language symbol-to-sound correspondence, that certainly is an
advance.  The fact that the research may not elucidate all "dyslexia" should
not take away from what the findings apparently (note "apparently") imply.
Simply from the point of view of potentially providing real help for some
diagnosed "dyslexics," it would seem to be worthy of note and pursuit.

Going further, isn't this also a wonderful research opportunity?  A testable
hypothesis has just been offered above:

<<But Italian would be much *worse* for someone with a tendency toward
phonological dyslexia -- the regularity of the spelling does you no good and
you've got to memorize a gazillion inflected forms which you have problems
taking apart on-line.  Phonological dyslexics have a fighting chance of
surviving in an English-writing environment.>>

If there is an operational way of identifying "phonological" dyslexics, then
the statement above would seem to be testable and provable.  We would expect
diametrically opposed results with such subjects.

And so, based on the above, we might also appreciate the research for not
only potentially advancing our understanding of one phenomenon, but also for
paving the way for other advances.

<<I can see how a more regular orthography would make life simpler for a
person with a tendency toward surface dyslexia...>>

My understanding is that the correlation may be rather higher than a matter
of just making life simpler.  There seems to be a significant variance
between a functional and dysfunctional diagnosis. And of course if the
research eventually bares out, it might no longer be a matter of "seeing
how."  It might become a matter of "finding out why."

Regards,
Steve Long