Call for papers

Tuomas Huumo thuumo at UTU.FI
Wed Feb 13 13:44:34 UTC 2002

Call for papers

Cognitive Linguistics East of Eden

A joint conference organized by the Finnish Cognitive Linguistics
Association (FiCLA) and the Slavic Cognitive Linguistics Association
(SCLA) will take place in Turku, Finland, on September 13 to 15, 2002.

Starring (as plenary speakers):
Mirjam Fried (Princeton University)
Marja-Liisa Helasvuo (University of Turku)
Laura Janda (University of North Carolina)
Helena Leheckova (University of Helsinki)
Ekaterina Rakhilina (Moscow State University)

The aim of the conference is to bring together cognitive linguists from
the East and the West, and to offer a forum for collaboration and
discussion on current developments in Cognitive Linguistics. We welcome
abstracts for oral presentations (20 minutes + 10 minutes for
discussion) and for posters on all cognitive linguistic topics,
including syntax, semantics, morphology, phonology, metaphor,
pragmatics, discourse, etc. We especially welcome papers on Slavic
and/or Finno-Ugric languages.

The deadline for submissions is April 30, 2002. Please submit a one-page
abstract (max. 500 words), with an additional page for tabels, graphs
and references, if necessary. We strongly encourage e-mail submissions.
For speakers with topics related to the Slavic languages: Please send
your abstract to janda at unc.edu. For speakers with topics related to
other languages: Please send your abstract as an attachment file (plain
text or rtf) to aairola at ling.helsinki.fi, with your name, affiliation,
e-mail address and the title of your paper included in the message. If
you wish to submit a paper version, then please send 5 anonymous copies
of your abstract, and your author information on a separate sheet of
paper. In this case, please use the following address:

Anu Airola
Department of General Linguistics
P.O.Box 9 (Siltavuorenpenger 20 A)
FIN-00014 University of Helsinki
Finland

The participation fee will be 70 euros (35 euros for students, including
graduate students), to be paid at the conference site in cash (please
observe that we cannot accept credit cards). For members of the FiCLA,
SCLA or ICLA the fee will be 50 euros (25 euros for students).
Participants from economically disadvantaged countries may be allowed a
free participation upon application. In such a case, please include an
application for free participation in your abstract.

The participation fee will cover the abstract booklet, other conference
materials, coffee and a get-together with snacks.