Postal quote

Wallace Chafe chafe at LINGUISTICS.UCSB.EDU
Wed Nov 20 04:41:28 UTC 2002

It's on page 283:

"Of course there are some scholars who hold that all linguistic change is
the result of language contact, but this position seems too radically
improbable to demand serious consideration today. Assuming then that some
if not all phonological changes are independent of contact, what is their
basis? It seems clear to the present writer that there is no more reason
for languages to change than there is for automobiles to add fins one year
and remove them the next, for jackets to have three buttons one year and
two the next, etc. That is, it seems evident within the framework of sound
change as grammar change that the 'causes' of sound change without language
contact lie in the general tendency of human cultural products to undergo
'nonfunctional' stylistic change."

Wally Chafe