Object-initial languages

David Golumbia dgolumbi at PANIX.COM
Thu Oct 24 18:56:05 UTC 2002

For a functional perspective, the most detailed treatment of O** orders
is found in the work of Matthew Dryer - see the references at

http://linguistics.buffalo.edu/people/faculty/dryer/dryer/dryer.htm

a couple of the downloadable .pdf papers there are applicable (see the
1996 "Word Order Typology"), but as far as I know the most direct comments
are in "On the 6-Way Word Order Typology," _Studies in Language_ 21 (1997),
and "SVO Languages and the OV/VO Typology," _Journal of Linguistics_ 27
(1991) (see above page for full references and others).

I expect that Dr. Dryer will see this exchange eventually and may have
more to add himself.

DG

dgolumbi at panix.com
David Golumbia