Grammaticalization of ?say? as a complementizer

Matthew Anstey ansteyfamily at optusnet.com.au
Mon Feb 17 23:30:52 UTC 2003

Hi Matthew,

There has been a phd on this in Biblical Hebrew:
Miller, Cynthia L. 1996 The representation of speech in biblical Hebrew
narrative : a linguistic analysis. (Harvard Semitic Museum
publications.) Atlanta, Ga.: Scholars Press.

It includes a (small) section of cross-linguistic evidence from these
languages: ChiBemba (Bantu), Uzbek (Turkic), Urartian, Hausa, Ewe,
Amharic, and Aramaic.

I'm not sure if Coulmas, F. (ed) 1986. Direct and indirect speech.
Berlin: Mouton has anything on this. I haven't seen it myself.

Cheers,
Matthew

Matthew Anstey
Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam