"the" (2)

Stahlke, Herbert F.W. hstahlke at bsu.edu
Mon Aug 30 17:32:59 UTC 2004

Steve,

The Septuagint (3rd - 2nd c. BCE) uses christou in ISam12:3 to mean
"anointed one".  The form shows up regularly in Samuel/Kings.  In
ISam24:6 David refers to Saul as "the lord's anointed", using to:
christo: kyriou.  But I don't have a Classical Greek concordance handy,
so I don't know how it would have been used in that body of literature
where a notion of messiah didn't exist.

Herb