Image Schemas and Linguistic Relativity

Alexander Gross language at sprynet.com
Tue May 11 06:02:32 UTC 2004

I wonder if it's truly Monica's posting (which I accept as innocent) that
has caused the confusion.  I rather suspect it's the whole tradition grown
up over the last forty-five years of accepting generalizations and
assertions about linguistics as "scientific" which are at best merely
"scienti-vistic,"  i.e. couched in seemingly scientific terminology, at
worst pure pseudo-science.

A few other such assertions, well-known to most of you:

1. All languages are based on--or are unified by or can be generated from
(accounts vary)--a universal grammar.

2.  A sublimely simple linguistic metatheory exists proving that (1) is
true.

3.  Infants suffer from a "poverty of stimulus."

4.  Only the examples provided by those advocating a linguistic theory need
be studied, and almost all other instances of spoken or written language can
be conveniently ignored.

5. The terms "carburetor," "bureaucrat," "doorknob," and "tweezers" are
innate in the human mind and in human language.

6.  A whole new domain of cognitive linguistics, following a previously new
domain of psycholinguistics, will sooner or later prove that all these
statements are true.

7.  One neeed know only one language to understand how all languages work.

8. All these ideas are already so broadly and completely accepted by the
scientific community that opposing theories need not be examined.

Dissertations, tenures, careers, department chairs have been decided on the
basis of the acceptance or rejection of unsupported claims such as these.
Is it any wonder that some among us may turn a trifle resistant when these
generalizations are seemingly further expanded to include visual phenomena?

very best to all!

alex