"I'm gonna get me a dog" and the 'ethical dative'

Ricardo Maldonado msoto at servidor.unam.mx
Wed Oct 6 21:04:25 UTC 2004

Dear Clancy:

The term Ethical Dative has certainly been overused with not enough precision
in Hispanic Linguistics. Since in a more classical tradition the term
"ethical dative" referred
to a very different construction. The "ethical dative" was in fact a
transitive completive of the type:

Me leí el libro
Middle read the book
'I read the whole book'

I thus avoided the term all together.

As for the examples you gave none of them qualify as  a so called "ethical
dative".
One crucial feature of that dative is their strong dependence on the speaker.
Thus ethical datives can be used in 1st person, in some cases second but
certainly never in 3rd person.
examples can easily be used in 3rd person:

Se      le      murió el gato
Middle DAT.3rd died the cat
The cat died on him

Esta    nena            no      les             come nada a sus padres y ya
los tiene preocupados
this    little.girl             NEG     3PL-DAT eats nothing to her parents
and yet them have worried
'This little girl is not wanting to eat anything  for her parents y she has
them worried now.'

These contrast with strange datives such as:

Me le arruinaron la vida a mi hija
DAT DAT ruined the life to my daughter
'They ruined my daughter's on me'

Which cannot be used in third person.

These facts show that there are in fact two very different dative
constructions besides core datives and applicatives.
 From a cognitive grammar perspective I showed that cannot take 3rd
person  are always in the setting (thus setting datives)
while those that can take 1st, second and 3rd among other arguments
correspond to "sympathetic datives", i.e. experiencers that are affected as
they linked to the affectedness imposed on other participant in the event.

For further details on these two separate constructions I apologize for
referring you to a paper of mine:

Ricardo Maldonado 2002. "Objective and subjective datives" Cognitive
Linguistics. 13-1. 1-65.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

All the best.

Ricardo Maldonado