postposition on finite verb forms?

Danielle Cyr dcyr at yorku.ca
Thu Apr 7 16:46:45 UTC 2005

I see by the examples Claire and Talmy give that the thread of the
discussion has moved to the lexical/Aktionzart dimension of verbs.

My undertanding of Nino's examples was more in the sense of a modality
dimension.  In Canadian French the additon of the lexical items style,
genre and the preposition comme are understood more as the rise of a
new modality, through which the speaker expresses his subjectivity
relatively to the truth guaranty he can give to his utterance.  It
should thus be understood as the rise of a subjective mode in spoken
French.  Isn't it the sense of Nino's examples where (1) can be
understood as subjective in opposition to (2) which is barely
indicative:

(1) man mo-i-bodish-a-sa-vit
    (s)he.ERG PREVERB-i-apologize-S3.SG.AORIST-DAT-like
   ``(S)he uttered something like an apology"

(2) man mo-i-bodish-a
    (s)he.ERG PREVERB-i-apologize-S3.SG.AORIST
   ``(S)he apologized"

Cordialement,
Danielle Cyr